Featuring subject experts from our Affiliate Council member companies, Affiliates Council web seminars hit on the most timely, relevant topics to EHS & Sustainability practitioners today.
Best Practices for Resource Conservation
Wednesday Sept. 26, 2012
Means to conserve resources (i.e., energy, water and materials) has become a priority goal for EHS and sustainability managers in most industry sectors. The volatility of energy costs, the threat of water shortages and legislation on a variety of materials (e.g., conflict minerals legislation) has shifted the focus from the proverbial “end of the pipe” to the operations. How can we ensure that there will be adequate resources for production despite natural disasters, shaky markets, and unforeseeable weather patterns? Your customers are asking more questions of your company and also of your supply chain.
Some companies have responded with a host of International standards – ISO 9001 (quality); ISO 14001 (environmental); ISO 14006 (eco-design); ISO 50001 (energy), ISO 26000 (social responsibility); ISO 22301 (business continuity); and ISO 31000 (risk management). These standards help mainstream resource conservation into the work instructions and operational controls. In other words, they help make resource conservation part of what every employee does every day. Other companies are implementing specialized resource conservation initiatives to deal with various conservation issues.
A proactive approach to resource conservation will demand new ways of thinking. We looked at source controls for pollution prevention, now we need to look at how we obtain and use resources at the source.
Join leading experts in this webinar to learn:
- Managing operational and regulatory risks through resource conservation and plan-do-check-act
- Working with sourcing and supply chain management
- Integrating ISO standards to provide attention to resource conservation on the plant floor
- Adapting sustainability assessment tools to find opportunities to improve
- Understand the role of resource risks in rating services such as the Dow Jones Sustainable Index and CDP Water
- Determining how resource conservation can be leveraged to appropriately set and meet EHS and sustainability goals
A case will be presented to demonstrate some of the resource conservation alternatives.